Lord, do you want me to floss?

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I saw a quote yesterday, and I am forgetting from who..(so don't call out the mob to get me for plagiarism) But it said something like "When WE want to do something we usually go for it right away but when God wants us to do something we usually ask for signs".
How TRUE. I first read it and wanted to say that it did not apply to me but sadly and all to often it does. WHY? Why would I, a woman who has had God deliver her from so much and had His hand guide my life through so much be so silly as to have to get signs..many sometimes.. to do what God calls me to do. I mean, it is not like when I go to brush my teeth in the morning I ask God to have the counter around the toothpaste be wet and the brush be dry if I am to brush my teeth and then reverse it the next morning. I brush my teeth. I don't ask God to have a pillar of smoke rise above Starbucks if I am to order my iced passion tea and apple fritter.. nay nay, I order the suckers and get on with my morning. But if I am in line at a store and I see that the woman in front of me is handing over 23 coupons, has 4 kids tugging at her, she is literally picking change out of the bottom of her purse to try and have enough money I have to PRAY and ASK God if I am to help her out and give her some money. Hmmmm... I am perplexed at my own double standard. It really IS as simple as that. I mean, the Bible tells us in Matthew 7:12 "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Well, I do not know about you, but when I am struggling financially and in a bind, it would make my DAY to have someone help me out. The Bible(Jesus Himself even) also tells us in Luke 10:27 He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" I am not fully aware that I am over"thinking" what I am told to do. I am acting as if the simple things that Jesus said we are to do are things that I need to have a week long prayer meeting and intercessory prayer for. I think that illness, family problems, death,etc would be stuff that would warrant such things...and even with that our "actions" during those times are still not what we are "praying" or "seeking earnestly" about it would be the situations.
Anyway, I am just mulling all this over and thought I would jot a line or 200 down about it and share it with you all. I mean, Thanksgiving is next week and I just know that I am so thankful for all that I am blessed with. There are people who will not have food or family. I want to make the effort to serve them and to pray for their situations not pray and ask if I need to help them.
And for those of you who are curious, no, God did not answer my requests about the toothpaste and yes, I DID brush my teeth anyway.



heather

1 comment: