SUMMER OF SERVICE: WEEK ONE-CHALLENGE ONE

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Summer of Service- What if we actually DID something?

Have you ever stopped to think about the great calling you have on your life? The calling that GOD himself spoke of... to SERVE. There are numerous verses in the Bible that speak to this. One of my favorites is:

Matthew 5:14-16
The Message (MSG)
14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

It let's us know that by us showing the Light of Christ that we will be "prompting" or inspiring others to "open up with" or in the NIV to "GLORIFY" God. We can do this by SERVING. I don't know about you but this excites me and challenges me. I have been working my way through a book called Crazy Love by Fances Chan and one area he challenges believers is the area of SERVING others. I was moved to tears as I read because I became acutely aware of the fact that my life was not being poured out in service to others the way it should be. I prayed about it and feel like God is pressing on my heart to SERVE more and not just to do it myself but to use my influence to INSPIRE others to SERVE as well. So this summer I am going to be challenging you weekly to SERVE in various ways. I want to hear feedback with stories, pictures, video etc of you and or your church group serving. I think as we share our stories we will be like that city on a hill and inspire others.. it will become a contagious movement of SERVING others and shining the LIGHT of CHRIST!

THIS week is WEEK ONE:
My challenge is one that is near and dear to my heart so I am going to lead off with it. I am a mom who has lost a child. The pain of going through that is heartbreaking to say the least. It is an ache that never goes away. Going through that has given me such a burden for children who are in situations that require help in order for them to thrive. My family has taken up the challenge to sponsor a child. We feel like it is a small way we can SERVE a child with a minimal amount of money. I am partnered with Mission of Mercy, an amazing organization that helps children everyday around the world through sponsorship. I am challenging all of you who are reading this to SPONSOR a CHILD! Jesus told us in:
Matthew 25:40
The Message (MSG)
37-40"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—
you did it to me.'

Below is a link you can go to in order to get more information about how YOU can SPONSOR a child! I pray that you take up this challenge with me and that we SHINE like a city on a hill!

To SPONSOR A CHILD go to: www.missionofmercy.org


Serving together with you,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment